Friday, January 15, 2010

What is this?


Good question. It's nothing...yet. It's a clue to the new direction I'm taking in my design efforts. I've decided to try my hand at writing some crochet patterns for clothing--a daunting task as crocheted apparel is notoriously unfashionable. Knitting is much better suited to making clothing, with a softer drape and more pleasing texture. Knitting is all well and good, but it's not what I do. I'm a crocheter. A compulsive, fanatical, work-until-your-fingers-have-cramped-into-claws type of crocheter. Not because I'm incredibly eager for the finished product, but simply because I love to do it. As I've already discovered, crochet pattern development is not for the casual hobbyist. It's a bit difficult to realize you made a mistake and have to rip out the 10 rows you've just worked. Fortunately that doesn't faze me. The process is thrilling, and this time I'm really looking forward to how the finished product will turn out. The above is just a sample using scrap yarn. Check back soon to see what it'll be!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! I can't wait to see what it turns out to be. You should post pictures of what you gave the girls for Christmas. They are ADORABLE! What great patterns that would make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is so fun!! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I've free-style crocheted (sometimes when I free-style I lose confidence...) a couple of things, but I can't imagine writing a pattern, much less trying to do clothing!! that's awesome!

    your post totally reminds me that I never finished Ellie or Gabby's baby blankets. that's pathetic. I don't even know where they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep checking back to see what it is, but there is no update. sad.

    ReplyDelete