The development process for this collection was difficult. I used materials I've used before, but trying to bring the designs to life showed me more of what I don't know that what I do. Because of that, the designs changed drastically from the sketches. The first top, with a pleated bodice, proved the most difficult, but not until I started working with the silk organza. Working with muslin, the draping came out beautifully:
In the sketches, the pleats go all the way down the bodice, but I really liked the pleating over just the bustline, making the top flare out at the hemline. I decided to keep it that way.
This picture shows the markings I made to help me record the pleats onto a flat pattern. The finished muslin:
I really like how this came out. Unfortunately, that was not the case with the silk. After I completely finished this top in silk, I realized I just couldn't photograph it. Silk organza pleats well, but not on the bias. Now I know! Instead of trying to make it work, I went in a completely new direction. I leaned more heavily on the Frank Lloyd Wright inspiration when creating this top:
The hem is actually even, but my pieces of muslin obviously weren't. The markings on this will be appliqued bias tape. Although I'm not really sure what my "thing" as a designer is, I feel like this looks like me. I'm excited to show you the finished garment. This top will be paired with a high waisted skirt:
The second look also turned out completely different. After I realized the pleating wouldn't work on the bustline, it became apparent that it wouldn't work as a raglan sleeve either (I'm sure it can be done, but with very little time left I didn't want to try), so I started something completely new, continuing the heavy FLW art glass inspiration. It's a wide neck, raglan sleeve cropped shirt with more bias tape surface detail. Here's the muslin to give you a general idea of the shape of the top:
Ignore the wrinkles, please. :) This top will be paired with some high waisted skinny pants that I don't have a picture of because my form doesn't have legs. You'll see them in the final pictures.
Finally, the dress is actually very similar to the sketch. Here's a picture of the muslin to show the shape:
It's very loose and flowy, so not much draping was needed. Very easy. The difficulty came in the surface treatments and additions I'll show you later.
Here's my helper, Don Leon, napping on some patterns under the ironing board:
These last few weeks were exhausting for all of us: Mr. N, Don, and me.
But we made it through.
There you have it, the collection in bland muslin. I assure you the finished product is much more interesting. Check back soon to see the completed garments and pictures from the photo shoot!