Sunday, October 4, 2009

done and done


...and here we have the finished product. Not bad. A cute fall dress. I ran into a few problems finishing it, however. After I made all the changes I mentioned in the previous post, instead of making another muslin I just cut the pieces out of the dress fabric and went to town. Had I made another muslin I would have found that the adjustments I made to raise the neckline didn't exactly solve the problem. They did provide more coverage, but they were a bit loose and flopped forward. So I decided to go with it. Here's a close up of the finished neckline:


I folded each side over to form a little lapel. While this wasn't my original intent, it adds a cute detail. In order for it to be wearable, though, I have to have a camisole under it.
I also added a ruched sash at the empire waistline that ties in a bow in the back.
Overall, a fun, quick project. Here's another shot:


Thanks to Mr. N. for being my photographer.
My next project is considerably larger. That's right, it's time for a collection! Right now I'm sketching some preliminary ideas and gathering inspiration. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! And great photo by Mr. N.
    Can't wait for the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work will look even better once you have a better photographer on board. I will say that the dress looks even better in person. I'm so proud of you! -Mr. N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Can I also request a picture of the back/tie for those of us who don't know what ruched means? You're the best. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello B. Neil, I just now discovered your blog as one of Jen's favorites!!!! So excited and thrilled about your new endeaver. Love the ideas you have. We will watch with joy as this blog unfolds and you and Mr N move forward. Great fall dress and love the sketches of fashion to come. Love you, too, betsy

    ReplyDelete