Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Look #2

Welcome to the second installment of the new collection! For this second look, I wanted to make a day to evening look that was easy to throw on, comfortable, and stylish but didn't look like everything else in your closet. I started with a basic v neck bodice. This one fits rather poorly because my draping fabric didn't have near as much stretch as the final fabric. Please, I ask you. Learn from my mistakes.

If the neckline looks obscenely low, that's because...well, it is. I made this particular look to fit my unusually long torso, which is also why the empire seam looks a bit low.


Draping the skirt. I draped this as a rectangle--bad idea. You'll see why in a second.


Here's the bodice with a slim little sleeve.

Not bad overall, but the skirt is pretty atrocious. Puckery and boxy and just plain not ok. I went back and added a few curves, and...
The finished product. It might be hard to tell what's going on around the neck. I added a tie to the back neckline, but liked it best when the tie tied in the back under the arms.



For the shoulder detail I adapted the Flemish motif from the first look.


Mr. N commented that it looked military inspired, which I consider a huge success! Anything beyond "dress with doily shoulders" is fine with me. I wore this to work once (don't worry, I wore it with a camisole. I'm not trying to spill my goodies at work) and I was really happy with it. It was comfortable, easy, and interesting, which was my goal. What do you think? Leave me a comment and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Well, Mr N, you do have an eye there...it does have a bit of a military look! The dress is lovely and comfortable with a B Neil flare and signature. Love it, Beth. Love seeing how you work the process of creativity. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mr N...love, betsy + ed,too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! I love it and would totally wear it. In a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Emily K from Grace. I like this dress cut a lot. Let me know if you are able to make one in a size 10.

    ReplyDelete