Thursday, March 24, 2011

Op Top by Alexis Winslow

Although I'm a die-hard crocheter, every now and then I like to do a knitting project to keep my skills up. Also, in all honesty, the knitting patterns that are out there are way better than most crochet patterns. That's something I seek to change. But in the meantime, I have a deep appreciation for both skills, though crochet will always be first in my heart. I like to stick up for the underdog.

A few months ago I came across an article about the top 10 up-and-coming knitting designers, and most underwhelmed me except one: Alexis Winslow.

This girl has got it going on. Her patterns are intricate without being fussy (unless that's the intention, as with the Miss Myrtle fingerless gloves) and beautifully fresh and modern. Needing a winter hat, I immediately gravitated to the Op Top. I knitted the hat on straight needles and seamed it together rather than working on circular needles, and it came out perfectly. It was my first time doing knitted colorwork (stranding), and it took me a few tries to get it right, but I love the finished product:







Thanks Alexis! I'm a huge fan.

Alexis is also an incredible painter, so if you haven't checked her out yet, I insist that you do so: http://www.knitdarling.com/.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Beth, I love the hat. What a creative way to put a design. It's not centered and adds such interest. You did a great job knitting, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! How long did it take? It looks so intricate....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Beth, I love this hat!!! You continue to amaze and tickle my eyes and heart with your creativity. Thanks for sharing and bringing in a smile. I envy your ability. Love ya, betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost didn't believe you that you needed a hat for winter, until I saw a little snow in the corner of the third picture. Also, I think your fans would be interested to know you finished the hat on a cross-country road trip in the dead of winter, so it came in quite handy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome! Well crafted.

    ReplyDelete