So I got her measurements and got started. I adapted a pattern I already had and made a muslin from it:
I experimented with different ways to arrange the back straps.
Kate liked the above arrangement best, so I packed off the muslin and mailed it to her to try on.
In the meantime, I rooted through my stash to see what I had in the way of peacock feathers, and low and behold, I had this.
Several years ago I interned with amazing prom dress designer Loralie, and she gave me a whole bunch of fabrics and trims and appliques she no longer needed. That's how I came to have an entire roll of this amazing trim, which couldn't be more perfect for this occasion. Here's how the trim will be placed:
Then I bought some beautiful silk dupioni, sewed until 3 in the morning, hopped on a plane, and put the dress on the bride.
Perfect! We made some adjustments to the straps and ended up doing a simple halter strap which suited Kate to a T. Here I am with the bride:
As it turned out, Ryan and Kates' officiant is a Canadian citizen, so in order for their marriage to be legal they had to go to the courthouse to be officially married a day before their actual wedding. Which means I got to make Kates' wedding dress, in a sense. Pretty cool. Here's the bride and groom at the courthouse:
Making it legal, as Mr. N looks on.
Congratulations, you two! We couldn't be happier. Thanks for letting us play a big part in your day!